OK, you've all got blogs, so I'm creating one of my own, to sit, unvisited and unloved, like a forgotten grandparent, collecting dust in some home and, unnoticed... So now that I'm off on the right foot...

Friday, August 12, 2005

:: In memory of my Pak Pak ::

Pak Pak (that's Cantonese for calling your eldest uncle on ur father's side.. basically your father's eldest brother).. I have always feel nostalgic whenever I pronounce the phrase.. Till today I can't tell why am feeling that way.

He's one man that I know throughout my life as my father's only brother and not only that he's someone I know exist but also I never thought I would ever meet.

You see, he has migrated to London when he was around 23years old (if i'm not mistaken).. He never step a foot back to Malaysia from then onwards (I guess I'll never know why he leave this country..) until 6years back. The first visit after almost 40years. I was thrilled to have met him in person, I recalled I was very happy to see him.

I remembered my dad went to London to meet up with him back in 1997/98. They have been corresponding thru snail mail before that, and every time his letter comes to my house.. I noticed in his mail he would ask about me and my sis well being. That made me feel real good about this guy. Think of it as for someone you never met before in your life.. asks bout your well being..

So he's been coming back to KL annually since 2001 to celebrate either Christmas or CNYear with us. I have always welcome him in my house. He's one cheerful guy, with big big belly.. I do think of him as a Santa in disguise. Squity oriental eyes hiding behind his black wired-framed glasses, he never fail to put up a smile, I can still recall clearly how he sits in my living room and ask how my day was..
I remembered as well that he always ask me to go London with him, tho I know I can't due to financial constrain and I always think there will be time.

I haven't seen the sight of him since 2004, that was last year.. I thought he'll be back, but to my surprised he didn't. So, I decided to e-mail him.. to my deareast uncle Chong Wah.. a.k.a. Pak Pak. I mailed him twice.. No reply.. I never understand why he didn't. Was he too busy? Did he not care bout me/us in Malaysia anymore? I wouldn't know..

Yesterday, I got a call from my dad.. he told me that my Pak Pak has passed away. I was shocked.. speechless.. at the time I'm not sure how what I should be feeling at all.. I guess that's one part of the reason why I feel so agitated easily today other than the bloody haze.. the image of him whilst in KL keeps flashing thru my mind today..

So..I'll be going to London on this Saturday morning for his funeral.. Anyway, I'm fine and take care to all of you bloggers out there.. I'll be leaving this page for a rest till I'm back on next Sunday (20th Aug)..

Peace out! & Wear Mask!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you Ed. And your PakPak as well. See you when you're back from London

10:32 AM

 
Blogger izchan said...

So you do get to meet him in London afterall.

be well my friend.

and mourn.

We shall patiently wait for your return.

11:29 AM

 
Blogger Syrope said...

My condolences dear friend.

He must have been quite a guy to touch your life in such a deep way.

Please take care and I know the memory of him hurts right now, but treasure these memories... and remember to be like your Pak Pak next time to your younger relatives.

Hope you are well in London and feeling better by the time you return to Malaysia.

10:13 PM

 
Blogger Edwin Ng said...

Thanks guys.. am now in London.. just arrived not too long. Will try to blog later. Thanks again

6:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home