OK, you've all got blogs, so I'm creating one of my own, to sit, unvisited and unloved, like a forgotten grandparent, collecting dust in some home and, unnoticed... So now that I'm off on the right foot...

Monday, September 26, 2005

:: Human Technology ::

With the arrival of Internet in the 90's (in M'sia) has somewhat changed how the world behaves. With geeks turning into over-night millionairs, kids getting smarter and information travels much quicker, the net has definately created a big impact on our society.

It is pretty funny on how people would perceived when new technology being invented. The believers will adore and preach it, the conservatives will try and look for loopholes and/or promote fear amongst the would-be-followers. Somehow the net has survived the time and all critisism and proven itself to be a super valuable/reliable piece of technology.

My gist is here, I remembered during the 90's.. read an article about how internet/e-mail technology will seperate or distance face-to-face communication. Basically scientist believes that the humans will grow more isolated as more and more people owns computer. The computer will become the main medium where studies are being done (virtual classroom), shopping, meetings and etc which will eventually decreases real-human-interaction..

How not true this is..

The just-past weekend, I have personally proved that what those days' scientist said wasn't true.. (now I'm amongst the millions who have proved it wrong.. yippe!). I went to S'pore to meet up with a fellow blogger that has patron my site for some time. Meeting her for the first time seems pretty odd to me cause I've never met any of my cyber-community friends before in flesh..

There I was with Shermae, Shermae's bf, Sheau Lan, Phillip, Jean, Caroline.. waiting for our seat @ Nooch, Paragon. A voice from somewhere came:-

Hazel: "Hey! You're Edwin rite?"..

I looked up..

Ed: "Oh!.. er.. Hi.. Hazel yeah?"

That's it! we've finally met!.. Together with her buddy, Mer.. after a brief introduction and finally seated, WJ joins the crowd. A supposedly meeting of a two cyber-friends becomes a 10 pax dinner thingy.. am very very happy :)


WJ, Mer, Takako & Ed

The next day we met up again at her church, truth to be told I feel so so sinful walking in.. but it was much fun nonetheless :) moving on to makan after the service at the famous laksa (twas yummy!..) before we go on HK-trip-package-hunting and ended with a super-full-meal at Bugis.. Have to thank Hazel for being my tourguide thru-out the day.. I really enjoyed her company.


Hazel & Ed


Me & Hazel @ Bugis

So.. back to the subject, my personal opinion.. 'net' technology has created a bridge in ways of human communication that were barely even in the strings of thought in society, back in the 80s/early 90s. To me, it has make the world so much smaller and so much more intertwined than we've ever known..

Open your eyesss....!

6 Comments:

Blogger izchan said...

Very well written edwin.

Bravo.

*me crawl back into my shell and hide from the world behind the shield of technology*

10:39 AM

 
Blogger Syrope said...

Ya, i agree... very well-written :) I think you truly believe in the global village thingy thru the wonders of technology, eh?

if only physical travelling within the global village can be cheaper..

10:59 AM

 
Blogger izchan said...

yes ... star trek beaming technology is very much needed in this world we live in.

6:47 PM

 
Blogger Edwin Ng said...

i'm waiting for teleportation tech as well.. how i wish

1:40 AM

 
Blogger mer said...

how about Wizard of Oz style?
Be like Dorothy. Just click the two heels together and off we go

4:18 PM

 
Blogger sourrain said...

hotstuff tai kor..:D

11:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home